This former post office and government office building has now come to life as a downtown pizzeria in Sanford. The front entrance, previously the public side of the post office, is now a gelato counter and seating area. The back portion of the building, which served as the post office service space and private offices, has become the restaurant kitchen, bar and seating area.
This historic tax credit project was originally built as a one-story building with a basement to serve as Sanford's Federal Building. It was constructed in 1935 and is located on Carthage Street, near the corner of Carthage Street and Horner Boulevard.
The building was constructed by the Works Projects Administration. The restrained ornamentation is typical of such Depression Era government structures. A central pediment, risen above a wide dentiled cornice, adorns the front facade. A recessed fanlight and pilasters frame the building entrance, and large 12-over-12, double-hung windows create a symmetrical front elevation. A stone water table wraps the building.
The windows, set in stone lintels and sills, continue around both sides and the rear of the building, flood the interior with natural light. A loading dock at the rear of the building (believed to be a later addition) provides a covered service entrance.